Touring Ohio's Presidential Trail
Ohio has a lot of tourism trails - more than 65 celebrating everything from doughnuts to aviation and antiques - but the newest is perfect for Presidents' Day.
Sometimes called the "Mother of Presidents," Ohio boasts eight U.S. presidents - sorry Virginia, we're claiming William Henry Harrison. A new Ohio Presidential Trail highlights homes, libraries, museums and monuments telling their life stories.
"It's not every store or every place that someone slept, but places that had enough historical significance and are of interest to see." says Ohio History Connection Director of Cultural Resources Megan Wood. "We're also trying to leverage our partnerships across the state like the National Park Service."
There are four stops in Southwest Ohio: the tomb of William Henry Harrison in North Bend; Ulysses S. Grant's birthplace in Point Pleasant, and boyhood home and schoolhouse in Georgetown; and William Howard Taft's birthplace and boyhood home in Mt. Auburn.
The Presidential Trail doesn't leave out the women behind the leaders. The National First Ladies' Library in Canton is included, too.
Wood wants people to understand the importance of Ohio's presidents and "to be able to connect with their Ohio roots and see how Ohio and Ohioans were central to U.S. and world history. Those will the be connections that you make at each of these sites."
Stops On The Ohio Presidential Trail:
- William Henry Harrison Tomb, North Bend
- William Howard Taft National Historic Site, Cincinnati
- U.S. Grant Birthplace, Point Pleasant
- U.S. Grant Boyhood Home & Schoolhouse, Georgetown
- Warren G. Harding Home & Memorial, Marion
- Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museum, Fremont
- Garfield Memorial at Lake View Cemetery, Cleveland
- James A. Garfield National Historic Site
- James A Garfield Birthplace, Moreland Hills
- Hiram College (Garfield and his wife met there), Hiram
- William McKinley Presidential Library & Museum, Canton
- National First Ladies’ Library, Canton
- National McKinley Birthplace Memorial & McKinley Birthplace Home, Niles
Copyright 2021 91.7 WVXU. To see more, visit 91.7 WVXU.