Check Out The Most Popular Reads In Hamilton County
Every year, the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County compiles a list of most popular titles.
Manager of the Popular Library David Siders says they gather circulation data on the top ten adult fiction, young adult and children's books, and the most popular e-books.
“We really strive really on a daily basis to meet demand. So when holds are on particular titles, we keep track of that and look to see if we need to order more copies. We want to provide as quickly as possible the materials most in demand,” he says.
"The Great Gatsby" won out among young adults.
“Summer reading lists for high schools drove that demand. It was also on our On the Same Page reading list in the spring last year.”
Siders says this year James Patterson had four of the top ten adult fiction titles. But the top spot went to John Grisham's "Gray Mountain".
“I think it’s just a surprise. Grisham’s immensely popular and perhaps because he hasn’t published quite as much people are hungry to read him and read his newest one.”
Siders says six authors dominate the hard copy top ten list, but the e-book list is diverse.
He says that may be because of the library's hot author program, which allows readers to automatically reserve titles by certain writers.
“I think that service helps drive the print circulation. And of course that includes our popular authors like Grisham, Baldacci, Nora Roberts, and Patterson. E-books, customers select on their own, pretty much.”
Siders says "The Girl on the Train" and "Gone Girl" were the most popular downloads, along with three of the "50 Shades of Grey" books, and a novel that got a lot of attention this year.
“We had "Go Set a Watchman" which may not be surprising, but of course Harper Lee, after all these years, being a top ten circulating author in e-book format; think about that. That’s pretty interesting.”
He says especially because the prequel to "To Kill a Mockingbird" didn't crack the top ten for hard copy adult fiction or young adults.
Top 10 Circulating Adult Book Titles:
1. Gray Mountain by John Grisham
2. Memory Man by David Baldacci
3. The Escape by David Baldacci
4. The Liar by Nora Roberts
5. NYPD Red 3 by James Patterson
6. The Stranger by Harlan Coben
7. Private Vegas by James Patterson
8. 14th Deadly Sin by James Patterson
9. Hope to Die: The Return of Alex Cross by James Patterson
10. Motive: An Alex Delaware Novel by Jonathan Kellerman
Top 10 Circulating Teen Book Titles:
1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
2. Naruto by Masashi Kishimoto
3. The Fault in our Stars by John Green
4. If I Stay: A Novel by Gayle Forman
5. The Hunger Hames by Suzanne Collins
6. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
7. Divergent by Veronica Roth
8. Paper Towns by John Green
9. Allegiant by Veronica Roth
10. Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Top 10 Circulating Juvenile Book Titles:
1. Pokémon Adventures
2. Geronimo Stilton by Geronimo Stilton
3. Wonder by R.J. Palacio
4. Pokémon Black and White by Hidenori Kusaka
5. The Giver by Lois Lowry
6. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
7. Lego Ninjago, Masters of Spinjitzu by Greg Farshtey
8. Disney Fairies
9. Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
10. Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein
Overdrive ebook Titles:
1. The Girl on the Train: A Novel
2. Gone Girl: A Novel
3. Eyes on You: A Novel of Suspense
4. All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel
5. The Goldfinch: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction)
6. Gray Mountain: A Novel
7. Go Set a Watchman: To Kill a Mockingbird Series, Book 2
8. Fifty Shades of Grey: Fifty Shades Trilogy, Book 1
9. The Martian: A Novel
10. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
11. The Book Thief
12. Grey: Fifty Shades of Grey as Told by Christian
13. Big Little Lies
14. Fifty Shades Darker: Fifty Shades Trilogy, Book 2
15. If I Stay: If I Stay Series, Book 1
Overdrive eAudiobook Titles:
1. Gone Girl: A Novel (unabridged)
2. The Girl on the Train: A Novel (unabridged)
3. All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel (unabridged)
4. Yes Please
5. Memory Man: Amos Decker Series, Book 1 (unabridged)
6. Go Set a Watchman: To Kill a Mockingbird Series, Book 2 (unabridged)
7. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption (unabridged)
8. To Kill a Mockingbird: To Kill a Mockingbird Series, Book 1 (unabridged)
9. American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History (unabridged)
10. The Hunger Games: The Hunger Games Series, Book 1 (unabridged)
11. Mockingjay: The Hunger Games Series, Book 3 (unabridged)
12. Top Secret Twenty-One: Stephanie Plum Series, Book 21 (unabridged)
13. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Harry Potter Series, Book 1 (unabridged)
14. The Giver: The Giver Quartet, Book 1 (unabridged)
15. The Maze Runner: The Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 1 (unabridged)
Copyright 2021 91.7 WVXU. To see more, visit .