© 2022 WOSU Public Media
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
News

Circleville Couple Charged After One-Year-Old Overdoses On Fentanyl

berger_health.jpg
Berger Health System
/
Facebook

A Circleville couple is jailed on involuntary manslaughter charges after police say a one-year-old child died from ingesting the powerful painkiller fentanyl.

Police say they received a call from Berger Hospital on Sunday about a child who wasn’t breathing. The child’s sibling, who was ill and vomiting, was also in the Emergency Department.

Police say an investigation showed both ingested fentanyl at the family’s apartment. The three-year-old survived and was sent with family members.

According to police, Nicholas Lee, 25, and Brianna Roush, 26, admitted selling drugs including fentanyl out of their Circleville apartment. They’re charged with involuntary manslaughter, attempted involuntary manslaughter, child endangering, trafficking in fentanyl, and possession of fentanyl.

Police say Lee and Roush were unsure how the children got ahold of the fentanyl.

“Our department and our personnel are deeply saddened and outraged at the death of an innocent child due to the illegal drugs that plague our community,” reads a police press release. “If you have a drug addiction or know someone that does, please reach out for help.”