© 2021 WOSU Public Media
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
News

Former U.S. Attorney Doesn't Expect Householder Trial To Start Until Next Year

U.S. Attorney David DeVillers announces racketeering charges against then-Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder and others on July 21, 2020.
Nick Evans
/
WOSU
U.S. Attorney David DeVillers announces racketeering charges against then-Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder and others on July 21, 2020.

The former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio says he does not believe that the case against former Ohio House Speaker Larry Householder will go forward this year.

David DeVillers spoke at the Columbus Metropolitan Club on Wednesday about the timeline of the trial.

"I think it's set right now for in the fall, but it probably won't go til, I'd be surprised if it goes to trial this year," he said.

DeVillers led the investigation that resulted in federal charges against five individuals, including Householder. They are accusing of funneling $60 million in bribes from a utility company in exchange for securing the passage of a nuclear powerplant bailout law.

DeVillers resigned at the request of the Biden Administration earlier this year.

Since leaving office he started work at a Columbus law firm. He is helping Bowling Green State University investigate the alleged, alcohol-related hazing death of 20-year-old Stone Foltz, of Delaware.