Two People Critically Injured In Columbus House Explosion
Columbus fire officials say at least two people were critically injured in a home explosion in the city's King-Lincoln district on Friday morning.
Columbus Fire Chief Kevin O'Connor says a duplex was completely demolished by the explosion near the intersetion of Athcheson and N. 20th Street. O'Connor says three other buildings also suffered significant damage.
The duplex was considered vacant, but two people were found inside and taken to a burn center. O'Connor says that when fire fighters arrived to the scene, Columbus Police along with civilians were helping to pull debris off the victims.
Ibsa Mohammed lives nearby and says the explosion woke him up.
"I wake up, and my bed is still shaking for like a couple seconds, and then when I get up and find my way to the window, I open my window up and I see smoke," Mohammed says.
Fire fighters had to contain a fire and gas leak when they arrived on the scene. A statement from Columbia Gas of Ohio says the company is working with investigators.
"Our crews are currently conducting a thorough inspection of our service lines and main lines in the area and so far indicates safe and normal operation of our system," the company said. "The investigation is on-going, and we will provide updates as soon as they become available. We want to assure our customers and the Columbus community of the safe operation of our natural gas system."
Mohammed says that while he was calmer than he was when the explosion happened, it's still a lot to take in.
"I'm still shaking and scared," he says.