Two Years Later, Investigators Still Hopeful About Solving Pike County Massacre
The Pike County Sheriff says he remains confident in the staff investigating the unsolved killings of eight family members nearly two years ago.
The anniversary of the April 22, 2016, slayings is Sunday. The case involves seven adults and a teenage boy from the Rhoden family who were found shot to death at four homes near Piketon in southern Ohio.
A newborn, another baby and a young child were left unharmed.
Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader on Tuesday expressed confidence in the investigative staff while announcing he would not make comments ahead of the anniversary.
Reader says he's based his decision on respect for the victims and their family and friends. He also says he doesn't want to compromise the investigation.
Speaking to reporters last year, Reader became visibly emotional while delivering a message to the killers.
"You came in like thieves in the night and took eight lives, some being children... in the most horrific way I have seen in my 20-plus years," Reader said. "We will find you and you will be prosecuted."
The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation has yet to announce suspects or arrests tied to the killings.
Attorney General Mike DeWine said last year that investigators believe people still aren't being forthcoming with their information about the massacre, perhaps out of fear that their unrelated criminal activity could incriminate them.