As Anniversary Approaches, Pike County Massacre Remains Unsolved
As the one-year anniversary of a massacre in Pike County nears, investigators still have no arrests and little new information to show for it.
At a press conference Thursday, neither Ohio's attorney general nor the Pike County sheriff would divulge details, while still insisting that "significant progress" has been made on solving the eight murders.
On April 22, 2016, investigators found seven adults and a teenage boy from the Rhoden family shot to death at four homes near Piketon, in southern Ohio. A newborn, another baby and a young child were left unharmed.
Attorney General Mike DeWine said Thursday that investigators believe people still aren't being forthcoming with their information on last year's massacre, perhaps out of fear that their unrelated criminal activity could incriminate them.
DeWine emphasized that his office's focus is on the homicide investigation. He says investigators will be fair when people come forward.
Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader says investigators are getting closer. Justice, he says, will be served eventually.
The sheriff became emotional, delivering a message to the killers.
"You came in like thieves in the night and took eight lives, some being children... in the most horrific way I have seen in my 20-plus years," Reader said. "We will find you and you will be prosecuted."