Hundreds of homes without service as crews work to repair gas line
Columbia Gas crews are working to repair a natural gas line that leaked and caught fire Monday.
About 1,300 Columbus homes were without service Tuesday morning after crews shut down the line just after midnight.
Columbia Gas spokesman Steve Jablonski says the fire was put out and people could return to their homes.
The Columbus Fire Department closed roads and evacuated homes in the area Monday. About 60 people were asked to leave.
Jablonski says the line could be repaired by early afternoon.
Crews would work on restoring service to each home after that.
Crews will have to visit each residence to light pilot lights.
The gas line ignited about 1:30 pm sending flames 70 feet into the air. There were no injuries.